Updated Jan 29, 2014 - 10:21 pm
NCAA hoops analyst Davis: Arizona Wildcats are good, but won't go undefeated
In fact, he expects all three still-undefeated teams to suffer at least one loss during their respective regular seasons.
"I don't see anybody entering the NCAA Tournament undefeated," he said.
However, that does not diminish what the Cats (21-0, 8-0) have done or what he thinks they will do.
"You've got to be impressed with what Arizona's been able to do," Davis told the Burns and Gambo Show Wednesday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "They defend and they attack the offensive glass, and those are two things you can do regardless of whether or not you're having a good shooting night.
"So that to me is the type of a team that can do very well in the NCAA Tournament because you can withstand a bad shooting night."
That has been the case all season for the Sean Miller's team, as they've not always won pretty but they have always won.
Arizona is not a bad offensive team by any means, but they rank 100th in college basketball with 75.0 points per game and their .486 shooting percentage places them in a tie for 17th.
But the Wildcats have yet to be outrebounded by an opponent this season and, as of Wednesday morning, are allowing teams to shoot just .372 against them, including a paltry .294 from three-point range.
And offensively, they're as balanced as any team in the country.
"That's a great asset to have because you can exploit matchups and you can survive one or two guys (having off nights)," Davis said. "I think the flip side, though, is when you're talking about a Sweet 16 game and an Elite 8 game, getting down to the end of the game, end of the shot clock, you're going to have to be able to create some offense, something out of nothing, and I think that's the one area I still have a little bit of concern about Arizona."
Davis added that the Wildcats' struggles from the free throw line are also a bit of a concern.
"They're not without their flaws," he noted, adding that there are many outside factors that could contribute to Arizona playing a poor game and losing.
"But so far it hasn't happened."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Johnson's big night leads Arizona to road win over Oregon State: By the Numbers
- Former Arizona Wildcats coach Russ Pennell hired by Central Arkansas
- Arizona powers past Stanford, clinches Pac-12 outright: By the numbers
- With win over Stanford, Arizona clinches Pac-12 title outright
- WAC suspends 2 players for postgame brawl in Orem
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.