Pirates fan reinvents ‘throwing it back’ by chucking HR ball into river
When the home team crowd catches the opposing team’s home run ball in the outfield stands, everyone knows what the protocol is.
“Throw it back! Throw it back! Throw it back!”
That’s the chant that will be heard in some capacity.
Well, in a game between the St. Louis Cardinals and Pittsburgh Pirates, there wasn’t even a chance for that to be heard.
The Cardinals’ Jedd Gyorko hit a two-run homer in the top of the first inning to center, and a Pirates fan responded by immediately throwing the ball into the river beyond right field.
There’s a debate as to whether the fan’s arm or complete lack of hesitation he showed making the throw is more impressive.
The fan, Jeff, was interviewed by the Pittsburgh television broadcast and it was revealed that he had planned on the throw from the get-go.
- Arizona Diamondbacks’ bullpen vital in sweep of Pirates
- Zack Greinke pitches Diamondbacks past Pittsburgh Pirates
- Alex Avila hits home run in Diamondbacks’ win over Pirates
- D-backs’ comeback falls short, Greinke picks up first home loss since August
- Watch: D-backs’ David Peralta’s home run bounced off defender’s glove