On way out of Detroit, new D-back Martinez told to go get a ring
Entering Tuesday leading the National League Wild Card race, the Arizona Diamondbacks seem to be all-in on reaching the postseason this year after landing the Detroit Tigers’ J.D. Martinez in a trade.
A member of the Tigers organization wants Martinez to carry the team even further.
Kansas City Star sports reporter Josh Tolentino took a video of Martinez saying his goodbyes to some of his Tigers teammates and others in the organization.
Heard in the tunnel?
“Go get yourself a ring, J.D. We’ll miss you.”
Heard in tunnel: “Go get yourself a ring, JD. We’ll miss you.” pic.twitter.com/efIruPmkfb
— Josh Tolentino (@JCTSports) July 18, 2017
Most Diamondbacks fans would like to see exactly that.
Arizona sent infielders Dawel Lugo, Sergio Alcantara and Jose King to the Tigers in return for the outfielder, who is batting .305 with 16 home runs and 39 RBI this season.
The 29-year-old was an All-Star in 2015, the same year he won a Silver Slugger Award.
Adding Martinez and his 1.018 OPS this year, the Diamondbacks are poised to improve one of the best offenses in the league.
- D-backs’ Iannetta uses winery to help wildfire first responders
- Report: Tigers to hire D-backs’ Ron Gardenhire as next manager
- The agony of defeat: Worst losses in Arizona sports
- Former exec Tony La Russa leaves analyst position with D-backs
- Keith Law: D-backs’ Yoan Lopez shows flashes in Arizona Fall League