Schefter: Cleveland Browns take Bacon Mayfield No. 1 overall
Breaking! The Cleveland Browns have selected Oklahoma Sooners quarterback Bacon Mayfield with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.
Mayfield sizzled this past season, throwing for for 4,627 yards, 43 touchdowns and just six interceptions as a senior.
His crisp passing ability was admired by some scouts, while others were surprised that his thin cut at 6-foot-1 and 220 pounds could leap him ahead of fellow signal-callers Sam Darnold, Josh Allen and Josh Rosen.
Mayfield comes with some unwanted fat — off-the-field and on-the-field behavioral problems led some to question whether he was mature enough to slice his way to the top of teams’ draft boards. Others believed in the quarterback, who has pigskin in his blood.
If Adam Schefter is gonna call him Bacon Mayfield, I gotta get video pic.twitter.com/YohVQQxU1S
— CJ Fogler (@cjzero) April 27, 2018
- Cardinals’ Josh Rosen part of historic, perfect week for rookie quarterbacks
- PFF: Josh Rosen tops Baker Mayfield’s high grade for rookie QB debut
- Pack leader: Josh Rosen leads rookie quarterbacks in Week 4
- It’s been an interesting last few days for Baker Mayfield
- David Johnson, Josh Rosen highlight ESPN’s three-year NFL predictions