Schefter: Cleveland Browns take Bacon Mayfield No. 1 overall
Breaking! The Cleveland Browns have selected Oklahoma Sooners quarterback Bacon Mayfield with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.
Mayfield sizzled this past season, throwing for for 4,627 yards, 43 touchdowns and just six interceptions as a senior.
His crisp passing ability was admired by some scouts, while others were surprised that his thin cut at 6-foot-1 and 220 pounds could leap him ahead of fellow signal-callers Sam Darnold, Josh Allen and Josh Rosen.
Mayfield comes with some unwanted fat — off-the-field and on-the-field behavioral problems led some to question whether he was mature enough to slice his way to the top of teams’ draft boards. Others believed in the quarterback, who has pigskin in his blood.
If Adam Schefter is gonna call him Bacon Mayfield, I gotta get video pic.twitter.com/YohVQQxU1S
— CJ Fogler (@cjzero) April 27, 2018
- David Johnson, Josh Rosen highlight ESPN’s three-year NFL predictions
- CBS Sports sets over/under at five starts for Cardinals’ Rosen in 2018
- Cardinals’ Josh Rosen, NFL rookies try to draw team logos
- NFL Draft boosted Cardinals up ESPN’s power rankings
- Cardinals’ Korey Cunningham hopes to buck seventh-round odds