Diana Taurasi scores 21, leads Mercury to 6th straight win
DALLAS — Diana Taurasi scored 21 points, Brittney Griner added 18 before fouling out late and the Phoenix Mercury won their sixth straight with a 75-72 victory over the Dallas Wings on Tuesday night.
Taurasi made all 10 of her free throws, including three straight on one possession to tie it at 69 after Skylar Diggins-Smith was called for a technical foul. Phoenix (8-3) was 20 of 22 at the line.
Camille Little was fouled after an offensive rebound and she made both free throws to give Phoenix a 73-72 lead.
After a timeout with 15.6 seconds left, Aerial Powers missed an open jumper and Diggins-Smith stepped out of bounds after getting an offensive rebound.
Briann January made two free throws with 2.2 seconds left and Diggins-Smith hit the back of the rim at the buzzer.
Neither team made a field goal in the final three minutes.
Diggins-Smith, the WNBA scoring leader at 23 points per game, was held to 16 points for Dallas (4-4). The Wings scored 16 of their 32 second-half points at the free-throw line.
- Mercury guard Diana Taurasi makes All-WNBA First Team for 10th time
- Mercury can’t contain Sue Bird late, eliminated from playoffs by Storm
- Mercury set for Game 5 vs. Storm after becoming first to come back from 0-2
- Griner, Mercury fight back from 17-point deficit, force Game 5
- DeWanna Bonner leads Mercury to game 3 win with 18 first-half points