Phoenix Mercury alone in first place with win over Mystics
WASHINGTON — Brittney Griner scored 24, DeWanna Bonner added 23 and the Phoenix Mercury stayed alone into first place with an 84-74 win over the Washington Mystics on Saturday night.
Yvonne Turner hit a 3-pointer at the end of the shot clock that made it 80-74 for the Mercury (13-5) with 36.6 seconds left and stopped a 10-3 Washington run. The Mystics (10-6) turned it over on their next possession and Diana Taurasi and Turner each added a pair of free throws to seal the victory.
Phoenix took the lead for good with a 9-0 run in the middle of the third quarter.
Turner finished with 12 points for the Mercury, who have won three straight.
Elena Delle Donne had 27 points and 13 rebounds for the Mystics. Washington had a four-game winning streak snapped.
- Mercury guard Diana Taurasi makes All-WNBA First Team for 10th time
- Mercury can’t contain Sue Bird late, eliminated from playoffs by Storm
- Mercury set for Game 5 vs. Storm after becoming first to come back from 0-2
- Griner, Mercury fight back from 17-point deficit, force Game 5
- DeWanna Bonner leads Mercury to game 3 win with 18 first-half points