The internet was not impressed with the Philadelphia Flyers’ new mascot
The Philadelphia Flyers unveiled a new mascot on Monday. The court of public opinion — also known as Twitter — did not give the mascot its unwavering support.
In fact, it was quite the opposite.
Looking like something between the Montreal Canadiens’ “Youppi!” and the Philadelphia Phillies’ “Phanatic,” Gritty is a big orange blob of vague biological makeup. In fact, “big orange blob” is about as specific as one could get in describing just what this creature is.
It’s also wearing a Flyers jersey, black shorts and hockey skates.
The Flyers’ rival, the Pittsburgh Penguins, were among the first to chime in on the announcement.
Others on social media offered their jokes and opinions:
— Marc Farzetta (@MarcFarzetta) September 24, 2018
— ♚ Brendan Page ♚ (@BrendanDrPepper) September 24, 2018
This is the worst thing in the history of hockey and I love it
— Mike (@morrissey215) September 24, 2018
— promoted tweet (@AintYourRyan) September 24, 2018
— Easy Mac With The Cheesy Raps🇧🇧 (@brooklyngohard) September 24, 2018
— Philadelphia Police (@PhillyPolice) September 24, 2018
— Steve Khan (@shk66) September 24, 2018
- ‘Fitzgerald is a top-two WR, and he ain’t two’: Comedian spoofs Cards fans
- ‘Gotta toughen up!’; ASU hockey spoofs ‘Happy Gilmore’
- Arizona Coyotes fall to Philadelphia Flyers in wild shootout
- Special teams play letting Coyotes down at home
- Ryan Kesler featured as an office ‘instigator’ in latest Ducks’ video