Keim: Cardinals’ plans the same despite Jets presumptive positive test
Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim wasn’t one to jump the gun on Friday morning following the news of the New York Jets’ presumptive positive coronavirus test.
On with Arizona Sports’ Doug & Wolf, the general manager explained it’s business as usual for the Cardinals until further information is known.
“All plans are the same until someone tells us to change,” he said. “We’ll fly out [Friday], be there the next few days and hopefully play on Sunday.”
While the Cardinals are still expected to fly out to the East Coast, their travel plans could be altered depending on the retest results of the Jets player with the positive.
“This is all evolving in real time,” Keim said. “I don’t want to speculate on anything without having a more complete set of facts. I’ve talked to Joe Douglas, the general manager of the Jets. I know [Cardinals owner and president] Michael [Bidwill] has talked to the league, but there’s nothing really we can do other than prepare as needed.
“Like everything else in 2020, we will prepare as normal and adjust as necessary. A lot of moving parts but we’ll be ready for whatever’s ahead of us.”
The Jets’ presumptive positive test result is the latest COVID-19-related thorn in the NFL’s side.
Before the news broke Friday, the NFL had already rescheduled the Broncos-Patriots game and the Bills-Titans game to Monday and Tuesday, respectively, due to positive test results from the Patriots and Titans. The Titans-Steelers Week 3 matchup was the first game to be rescheduled, which is now slated for Oct. 25.
Keim would obviously like to see Sunday’s matchup with the Jets go off without a hitch.
“I think just to be played on time but that’s with the caveat that everybody’s healthy and it’s safe for our players to play,” Keim said. “As long as it follows all the league’s protocols, I’m in favor of playing the game on time.”