Updated Apr 2, 2013 - 4:07 pm
Cardinals acquire QB Carson Palmer from Oakland
The Cardinals are sending a sixth-round pick in 2013 to Oakland, along with a conditional pick in 2014, in exchange for Palmer and the Raiders' seventh-round pick in 2013.
The deal is reportedly for $16 million -- with $10 million guaranteed -- and the possibility for the contract to be worth up to $20 million.
Palmer spent the last two seasons in Oakland, compiling an 8-16 record as a starter while throwing for 6,771 yards and 35 touchdowns. Last season, Palmer threw for 4,018 yards, which made him one of only 11 passers to eclipse the 4,000-yard mark in 2012.
But his best seasons came in a Cincinnati Bengals uniform. The former Heisman Trophy winner and two-time Pro Bowler spent seven seasons with the Bengals, throwing for 22,694 yards, 154 touchdowns and 100 interceptions. His quarterback rating over that seven-year period was a respectable 86.9.
Palmer twice led the Bengals to the playoffs. In 2005, Cincinnati won the AFC North but lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Wild Card round after the QB suffered a major knee injury early in the game. In 2009 the Bengals again won the division, but fell to the New York Jets in their Wild Card game.
The trade means the Cardinals have five quarterbacks on their roster. Drew Stanton was signed as a free agent from Indianapolis and Brian Hoyer signed his one-year tender offer from the Cardinals last month, though it is being reported the team is looking to move him. Ryan Lindley, who started five games last season, is also currently part of the quarterback mix.
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Arizona Cardinals sign wide receiver/kick returner Reggie Dunn
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday July 25ESPN NFL Insider John Clayton talks about Marshawn Lynch’s impending holdout.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?