Updated Apr 2, 2013 - 4:07 pm
Cardinals acquire QB Carson Palmer from Oakland
The Cardinals are sending a sixth-round pick in 2013 to Oakland, along with a conditional pick in 2014, in exchange for Palmer and the Raiders' seventh-round pick in 2013.
The deal is reportedly for $16 million -- with $10 million guaranteed -- and the possibility for the contract to be worth up to $20 million.
Palmer spent the last two seasons in Oakland, compiling an 8-16 record as a starter while throwing for 6,771 yards and 35 touchdowns. Last season, Palmer threw for 4,018 yards, which made him one of only 11 passers to eclipse the 4,000-yard mark in 2012.
But his best seasons came in a Cincinnati Bengals uniform. The former Heisman Trophy winner and two-time Pro Bowler spent seven seasons with the Bengals, throwing for 22,694 yards, 154 touchdowns and 100 interceptions. His quarterback rating over that seven-year period was a respectable 86.9.
Palmer twice led the Bengals to the playoffs. In 2005, Cincinnati won the AFC North but lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Wild Card round after the QB suffered a major knee injury early in the game. In 2009 the Bengals again won the division, but fell to the New York Jets in their Wild Card game.
The trade means the Cardinals have five quarterbacks on their roster. Drew Stanton was signed as a free agent from Indianapolis and Brian Hoyer signed his one-year tender offer from the Cardinals last month, though it is being reported the team is looking to move him. Ryan Lindley, who started five games last season, is also currently part of the quarterback mix.
- Arizona Cardinals begin to move on without Darnell Dockett
- Forbes: Arizona Cardinals are NFL's 25th-most valuable team
- Larry Fitzgerald taking things on a year-to-year basis, not worried about future with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.