Arizona Cardinals announce first wave of cuts
Safety Jonathan Amaya
Center Adam Bice
Wide receiver Dan Buckner
Defensive tackle David Carter
Tight end Alex Gottlieb
Wide receiver Charles Hawkins
Guard Senio Kelemete
Linebacker Zack Nash
Linebacker Colin Parker
Tight end Richard Quinn
Guard Chilo Rachal
Safety Curtis Taylor
Wide receiver Mike Thomas
"They're always tough," head coach Bruce Arians said on making cuts Friday. "Every time you deal with someone this long and you get to know them on a personal level it's hard to cut them."
Two of the players Arians focused on during his press conference were Carter and Thomas.
Carter, who was taken by the Cardinals in the sixth round of the 2011 draft, recorded 12 tackles last season but didn't do enough to impress the team's new coaching staff.
"David was in a battle with Ronald Talley," said Arians. "Talley's strength at the point of attack and his ability to play nose tackle was stronger, was better. David has a lot of hustle and effort, but he was struggling to hold the point as much as those guys were."
Another player who didn't do enough to catch the attention of Arians was Thomas, a veteran wideout the team on Aug. 20. While the former UA standout caught two balls for 20 yards and a touchdown in Arizona's 32-24 win over Denver Thursday, in the end it came down to numbers at the position.
"[Cutting Thomas] was a decision because I like the guys we have a little bit more," said Arians.
While Dan Buckner and Thomas are no longer a part of the wide receiver competition, as Arians heads into his final wave of cuts before a self-imposed deadline of 12 p.m. Saturday, the Cardinals head coach said he'll need to think long and hard about Jaron Brown and Kerry Taylor.
"No, not yet," Arians said when asked if the WR corps had been finalized. "Those decisions, those last seven guys and practice squad guys with be the last decisions.
"I saw about what I have been seeing from those two," Arians said of Brown and Taylor's play in the preseason finale. "Jaron made a big play and was more consistent. Kerry is always consistent doing the right things. Both of those guys are battling it out."
In addition to their 13 cuts Friday, the Cardinals also placed guard Jonathan Cooper on injured reserve Friday, meaning their roster is currently down to 61 players.
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b