Updated Dec 3, 2012 - 3:24 pm
Magee on ASU: 'We need to get back on top where we belong'
But Magee told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Monday it didn't take long for Graham to win him over.
"He said he was committed to the seniors, he is going to play all the best guys, he is going to have discipline in his team, only character guys are going to play, the people that don't show up to class or practice hard are not going to be a part of this team," Magee said. "The key points he made to me the first time we had a conversation, I followed him right after that."
Now preparing for his final game in a Sun Devil uniform, Magee is pleased with the direction Graham is taking the program.
"From Todd Graham all the way down to the assistant coaches, (they) are outstanding guys. They teach character, discipline, all the right things you need at college, especially at a program like Arizona State," Magee said. "We need to get back on top where we belong."
A key for ASU to "get back on top" will be recruiting players from California.
Magee, who went to high school in Corona, California, feels recruiting from the state shouldn't be a problem for Graham.
"If I were Todd Graham, I would go back to the great players from California that we had here, and show them how good they did and show them where they are today," Magee said. "Show them that California players succeed out here."
He also suggested letting players like him and high school teammate Will Sutton talk to players about what it is like to live in the Valley.
Magee, Sutton and the Sun Devils return to action December 29 when they take on Navy in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl in San Francisco.
- Stagnant or statement
- What to watch for: Arizona State Sun Devils vs. Weber State Wildcats
- ASU head coach Todd Graham in favor of eliminating games against FCS opponents
- Former ASU quarterback Andrew Walter loses congressional primary bid
- Arizona State has plenty of options at the Devilbacker position
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commisioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.
- Bill Hancock - College Football Playoff executive director - Wednesday August 27How will the playoff system impact college football?
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Todd Graham, head coach ASU football - Wednesday August 27Arizona State football coach Todd Graham discusses his team's upcoming matchup against Weber State.