Updated Mar 12, 2013 - 6:08 pm
Patterson: ASU needs to win in Vegas to get invited to the dance
He also acknowledges that is pretty much the Sun Devils' only option if their goal is to play in a postseason tournament not called the NIT.
"I think for us it's tough to get in the NCAA dance unless we probably win the Pac-12 Tournament," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf.
The Devils, who enter the Pac-12 Tournament as the nine seed, will square off with Stanford Wednesday afternoon. Should they top the Cardinal, a date with UCLA awaits them Thursday.
It will be a tough road, and one the team is not expected to travel.
Which then begs the question: Assuming the Sun Devils do not get an invitation to the dance, was the 2012-13 season a success?
"I think we've made a lot of progress from a year ago," Patterson said, noting the improvement in win total (10 to 20). "I think you look at the engagement of the fan base, it's dramatically improved.
"I think you look at the play of the team and the way some of the players have come from where they were, how they developed."
Patterson pointed to senior Carrick Felix, terming his improvement as "dramatic," and said he truly believes this season represented a step forward for the program.
And of course, the season is not yet over.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN College Football Analyst - Monday December 9ASU's heartbreaking loss, the other Championship Saturday games and Selection Sunday.
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game
- J.R. Redmond, former ASU running back - Friday December 6Redmond discussed the similarities between the 96 ASU team and this year's edition.
- Bickley Blast - Friday December 6Setting the stage for the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game.