Arizona State athletic director Steve Patterson believes anyone can win the Pac-12 Tournament.
He also acknowledges that is pretty much the Sun Devils' only option if their goal is to play in a postseason tournament not called the NIT.
"I think for us it's tough to get in the NCAA dance unless we probably win the Pac-12 Tournament," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf.
The Devils, who enter the Pac-12 Tournament as the nine seed, will square off with Stanford Wednesday afternoon. Should they top the Cardinal, a date with UCLA awaits them Thursday.
It will be a tough road, and one the team is not expected to travel.
Which then begs the question: Assuming the Sun Devils do not get an invitation to the dance, was the 2012-13 season a success?
"I think we've made a lot of progress from a year ago," Patterson said, noting the improvement in win total (10 to 20). "I think you look at the engagement of the fan base, it's dramatically improved.
"I think you look at the play of the team and the way some of the players have come from where they were, how they developed."
Patterson pointed to senior Carrick Felix, terming his improvement as "dramatic," and said he truly believes this season represented a step forward for the program.
And of course, the season is not yet over.
- Arizona State finalizes 2014-15 basketball schedule
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson scores 23 points in first preseason game in Australia
- ASU A.D.: Extending Herb Sendek's contract the right decision
- AP source: ASU extends both basketball coaches
- Report: ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek gets contract extension
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday September 23ESPN college football analyst Mark May thinks UCLA quarterback Brent Hundley will try to play agains
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Tuesday September 23Former ASU and Cardinals quarterback Jake Plummer discusses Sun Devil football, the Arizona Cardinal
- Mike Norvell- ASU offensive coordinator - Thursday September 18Mike Norvell expresses his confidence in Mike Bercovici as a quarterback.
- D.J. Foster, ASU running back - Wednesday September 17D.J. Foster talks about why he chose to stay home and be a Sun Devil
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday September 17Ray Anderson explains why he and Todd Graham donated a combined $1,000,000 to the ASU stadium renova