Updated Mar 3, 2014 - 6:24 am
ASU guard Jahii Carson will not return for junior season
He wasn't ready, they said. He needed to work on his defense, on and on.
But, following a modest nine-point, four-assist effort Saturday on Senior Day at Wells-Fargo Arena, the sophomore quelled the rumors. Carson had played his last game in Tempe -- a 78-60 ASU win over Cal -- he told the assembled media.
"For the most part," Carson answered, briefly -- and somewhat vaguely -- when he was directly asked after the game whether he had played his last game as a Sun Devil.
ASU coach Herb Sendek was far more clear.
"He's not coming back," he said after the game. "I know there was some rumblings after the last game."
But Sendek minced no words.
"We can count on him trying to go to the NBA next year," he went on.
With two Pac-12 games remaining on ASU's 2013-14 schedule, Carson has tallied 1,171 points in his two-year career in Tempe. In that span, he also has 305 assists. To date, he has a shooting percentage of 45.6. He is a career 73 percent free-throw shooter.
"He had a terrific two years with us," Sendek said.
- Lionel Hollins honored by ASU jersey retirement
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson signs with Australian team
- ASU basketball to face Maryland in CBE Hall of Fame Classic
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.