Cardinals sign vet LB Philip Wheeler to one-year contract
Adding veteran depth to their linebacker room, the Arizona Cardinals signed Philip Wheeler to a one-year deal, they announced Thursday.
The 32-year-old spent the past two seasons with the Atlanta Falcons. Last year, he recorded 28 tackles in 16 appearances.
Prior, Wheeler was with the Miami Dolphins (2013-14), Oakland Raiders (2012) and Indianapolis Colts (2008-2011). He has proved durable, appearing in all 16 games in six of his nine seasons.
The 6-foot-2, 245 pound linebacker’s most productive years came in 2012-13, when he tallied 109 and 118 tackles for the Raiders and Dolphins, respectively.
Wheeler has 66 career starts in 133 total games and has accumulated 513 tackles, 6.5 sacks and 25 tackles for loss. He has five forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and 15 passes defenses in his career.
- The 5: Father-son sports duos and their ties to Arizona
- Cardinals’ Chase Edmonds plans to pay off sister’s student loans
- Cardinals sign WR Greg Little, release Cobi Hamilton
- Rosenthal’s NFL division power rankings: NFC West third-best
- Arizona Cardinals head coach Steve Wilks: We got better this offseason