Diana Taurasi scores 25 points as Mercury beat Aces
PHOENIX (AP) — Diana Taurasi scored 25 points, Brittney Griner had 19 points, 15 rebounds and seven blocked shots and the Phoenix Mercury held off the Las Vegas Aces 72-66 on Sunday.
The Aces had a 10-1 run to close to 68-64 with about three minutes to go, but Griner had two blocked shots to give the Mercury (7-3) back-to-back defensive stops, and Taurasi hit a baseline 3-pointer to push the lead back to seven with 1:05 left.
DeWanna Bonner added 14 points and seven rebounds to help the Mercury win their fifth straight.
Phoenix had an 11-2 run to close the first half with 13-point lead and scored the opening basket of the third quarter to reach their largest lead at 52-37.
A’ja Wilson had 17 points for the Aces (1-7). Kayla McBride added 16, and Kelsey Plum had 12.
- Mercury guard Diana Taurasi makes All-WNBA First Team for 10th time
- Mercury can’t contain Sue Bird late, eliminated from playoffs by Storm
- Mercury set for Game 5 vs. Storm after becoming first to come back from 0-2
- Griner, Mercury fight back from 17-point deficit, force Game 5
- DeWanna Bonner leads Mercury to game 3 win with 18 first-half points