Diana Taurasi scores 25 points as Mercury beat Aces
PHOENIX (AP) — Diana Taurasi scored 25 points, Brittney Griner had 19 points, 15 rebounds and seven blocked shots and the Phoenix Mercury held off the Las Vegas Aces 72-66 on Sunday.
The Aces had a 10-1 run to close to 68-64 with about three minutes to go, but Griner had two blocked shots to give the Mercury (7-3) back-to-back defensive stops, and Taurasi hit a baseline 3-pointer to push the lead back to seven with 1:05 left.
DeWanna Bonner added 14 points and seven rebounds to help the Mercury win their fifth straight.
Phoenix had an 11-2 run to close the first half with 13-point lead and scored the opening basket of the third quarter to reach their largest lead at 52-37.
A’ja Wilson had 17 points for the Aces (1-7). Kayla McBride added 16, and Kelsey Plum had 12.
- Mercury picked middle-of-pack in WNBA 2019-20 preseason AP poll
- Phoenix Mercury trade Stephanie Talbot for 2020 2nd-round pick
- Phoenix Mercury receive visit from Lakers great Kobe Bryant
- Throwback: Arizona athletes on the cover of ESPN The Magazine
- Phoenix Mercury net two first-round picks in 2019 WNBA Draft