Vin Scully will retire from the Dodgers’ broadcast booth after six-plus decades on the call, and while we still have time to enjoy his commentary, the ceremonies to celebrate his career will start ramping up as the end of 2016 nears.
Before we get to that point, it’s worth pointing out there’s nothing like honoring a sports legend by pasting his mug on a pair of shoes. That’s exactly what Los Angeles outfielder Yasiel Puig did.
The Dodgers outfielder was rocking a pair of Nike cleats with Scully’s face pasted along the side at Sunday batting practice.
The cleats also read “Win for Vin” along the swoosh.
When Scully began on the Dodgers’ gig in 1950, it’s probable he never envisioned his face would ever appear on a pair of baseball cleats. What a time to be alive.
- D-backs’ bullpen roughed up in loss to Dodgers
- Diamondbacks utility man Daniel Descalso is literally clutch
- D-backs use long ball to beat Dodgers in 12 innings
- Tempers flare between D-backs, Dodgers after Souza’s slide into third
- D-backs’ Pollock continues torrid pace with HR in first at-bat against Dodgers