Diamondbacks Hernandez, Drury play catch with young fan
Character Counts | March 5, 2017 1:58 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks catcher Oscar Hernandez and second baseman Brandon Drury found a great way to kill time during batting practice on Sunday.
Perry High’s Emery Miller awarded Character Counts scholarship
Kevin Zimmerman | February 22, 2017 3:44 pm
Arizona Sports 98.7 FM and Parker & Sons presented Miller the grand prize in the Al McCoy Media Center at Talking Stick Resort arena.
Blues winger surprises cancer-battling fan with birthday gift of a lifetime
Character Counts | February 22, 2017 2:05 pm
Arianna Dougan is a big St. Louis Blues fan who was diagnosed with neuroblastoma when she was just 3 years old.
$500,000 raised for Sager Strong Foundation in bonus 3-point shootout
Character Counts | February 18, 2017 8:57 pm
The folks at TNT found a unique and memorable way to honor the legacy of sideline reporter Craig Sager on NBA All-Star Saturday Night.
Utah Jazz jersey ad will raise money for cancer research
Character Counts | February 13, 2017 5:51 pm
Advertisements will begin appearing on NBA jerseys as patches next season, and the Utah Jazz’s sponsored ad will be one of the more unique.
Coyotes’ Oliver Ekman-Larsson visits Boys and Girls Club in Scottsdale
Troy Tauscher | February 12, 2017 3:07 pm
Arizona Coyotes’ defenceman Oliver Ekman-Larsson surprised the children of the Boy & Girls Club of Greater Scottsdale with a visit to its Piper Branch.
High school crowd goes wild after special needs player makes final basket
Character Counts | February 6, 2017 2:41 pm
Lainy Fredrickson, a special needs student who is on her basketball team at Norman High School, made a basket to the delight of the crowd.
Terry Francona donates $1 million to Arizona baseball
Troy Tauscher | February 2, 2017 11:19 am
Cleveland Indians manager and Arizona alumnus Terry Francona donated $1 million to the Wildcats’ baseball program, the school announced Tuesday.
AHL All-Stars wear Craig Cunningham’s number 14 in pregame warmups
Character Counts | January 30, 2017 2:39 pm
The story of the Tucson Roadrunners’ Craig Cunningham touched people at all levels of hockey, and Monday night he will be honored at the AHL All-Star Game.
Character Counts Finalist
- Horizon's Kody Huff more than a rising baseball star
- Campo Verde's Kanani Hiapo thrives on volleyball court, in the classroom
- Raymond S. Kellis sophomore Chase Weaver balances leadership roles in sports, church
- Westwood's Brianna Anderson makes big differences with little actions
- Marcos de Niza kicker Krysten Muir using football success to build up others
- Arcadia High School's Grant Loftin leads in lacrosse and beyond
- Williams Field High School junior Lindsay O'Driscoll finds time to help others
- Scottsdale Christian's Christina Clark has dreams, reality of helping others
- Golf, piloting and helping others are Brody Burnell's passions
- Teddy bear drive, speeches help Emery Miller inspire children to overcome adversity